MAMI is creating a digital library focusing on fungi related to its Wild-foraged Mushroom Certification Program…and YOU can be a part of this!
From May 15 through November 30, 2023, MAMI is accepting photo submissions in 3 categories:
- Nontoxic; photo(s) of species within the 20 genera of mushrooms approved to be sold in the Michigan Wild-foraged Mushroom Certification Program. Click on the link for a guide to the 20 genera and species list: Mushroom Study
- Toxic; photo(s) must depict species containing the following toxins:
- Cortinarius and/or Orellanine
- Ibotenic Acid, Muscarine, Muscimol
- Unknown toxins (species like Chlorophyllum molybdites, Omphalotus illudens, Verpa, etc)
- Click on the link to review Toxic Mushrooms related to the Wild-foraged Mushroom Certification program
- Other; photo(s) must relate to mushrooms in the 20 genera of mushrooms approved to be sold through the Michigan Wild-foraged Mushroom Certification Program to include (but certainly not limited to!) look alike mushrooms, most unusual, etc.
Photos must have been taken by the same person submitting the photo(s) except when the photographer is under 17 years old (see Eligibility in Rules and Requirements.
Photos can be from any time, any date!
No more than 3 submissions in each category are allowed to be submitted by the same entrant.
Photos should clearly focus on identifying features of the mushroom;
- Cap; Scales? Hairs?
- Fertile Surface; Gills? Pores? Spines or teeth? Cortina? Veil?
- Stipe; Ring Zone? Annulus? Skirt?
- Basal Bulb
- Mycelia; Color?
3 Entrants will be selected to receive the perfect mushroom forager’s prize package!
- Mushroom basket
- Mushroom knife/brush
- Mushroom book
- Hand loupe/magnifying lens
- Choice of one year membership to Michigan Mushroom Hunters Club (MMHC) or the North American Mycological Association (NAMA)
Please make sure you read and understand the full Rules and Requirements. Click here for the Rules and Requirements.
Ready to submit your prize winning photo? Click here for the Photo Contest Entry Form.